Monday 12 April 2010

Cracking Run!



Despite being a little tired and on my feet all day, I decided to venture out and hit a 7 miler running my half-marathon strategy. That is, 5 miles at a steady but reasonable pace, then increase by about 20 seconds/mile (during the half, the final 3 miles will be labeled 'hanging on'). Tonight my plan was to complete the first 5 miles at an average of 7min/mile with and additional two miles at around 6.40 min/mile after that. In summary, I hit it dead on. However, the first 5 were a bit all over the place with the quickest at 6.48, the slowest at 7.22. It would be good to be able to crank out steady paced mile after mile, but I suppose that's the difference between me and a good runner! Next training run of that ilk will be a 10 miler with a 5-5 strategy (5 steady, 5 quicker).

But my goal was completed tonight and it was a cracking evening for a run. During the run I was calculating how I have been finishing races this year in terms of %age. Possibly Bourton aside (and looking back over the last couple of years), I generally finish in the top 5% of the field. That's a pretty good goal to aim at continuing.

Harriers tomorrow night.

No comments: