Tuesday 20 November 2007

Running Pedigree

or lack of! A bit of background on my running history. I'm 39 and have been 'running' to a certain degree since my teens although for the majority of this time it was a means to and end, a way to keep fit for the other sports I enjoyed playing such as footy and rugby. It also helped maintain overall fitness and weight control etc. Then, in the summer of 2005 I had a little boy, Joshua. The arrival of a little baby really restricted the opportunities for running so I started going out at lunchtimes at work with two chaps Dave & Nick. To start with, I couldn't maintain their pace around a 4.3 mile trail looping around a golf course. Gradually, over the next few weeks I managed to haul Nick in, but Dave was still that person ahead of me, always with an extra gear. Dave & I ran a half marathon, my time was 1.27 his was 1.25 again, just too far ahead.

A smallish 5k gave me a surprise, I came 15th with a 18.44 time, I beat Dave & Nick. However, I still maintain it a bit of a fluke!

So I've only been seriously running and racing for 2 years, my PBs are:

5k 18:44
10k 39:15
Half Marathon 1:27:05

All the above times recorded in the last two years. I ran a half again this year in 1:28:15, so my PB remained.

No comments: