Saturday 24 November 2007

Local Loop

Good run last night around my local 4.3 mile loop. A nice route for a tempo run and I improved my PB on this route by 20 seconds which surprised me as I started with a 6.58 & 7.01 / mile and then sped up to a 6.25 & 6.21. Actually I think this is the way to approach runs around 10k, start steady (bit quicker than 7.0/mile) and then try and go each mile a bit quicker than the last. Very difficult to do in race conditions as you have to conciously rein yourself in and let the others sprint off in to the distance, safe in the knowledge that you will catch and pass most of them later in the race. That's the theory anyway!

Talking of tempo runs, interesting article in this month's runners world:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=3176&v=3

1 comment:

dave2usa said...

That's why I really enjoy the Tuesday night session with the Harriers - it's an 8 mile tempo run, which I always joke that we do a little faster than our 5k race pace :-)