Saturday 3 May 2008

Surprised myself

All week I had planned a long run for today. However, I woke up today really weary, a bit sore from my XC exertions on Thursday and feeling like a long run, 15 miles or so, was out of the question. A morning in town did nothing to enhance my energy either. So I went out this afternoon thinking I'd just see how it went and see how far I could manage today. Surprisingly, I managed my whole planned route of 15.2 miles although my goal pace of 7.30min/mile wasn't quite achieved. I think the warm and humid conditions dropped my pace a bit down to 7.40 overall although my Garmin suggested in was closer to 7.33 - I always trust my Garmin ;)

Highlights of the run? Not that many actually. Lots of flies around, especially along the country lanes. Lots of traffic on the Winchcombe Road and when I called home to tell Helen I was going for the full distance, she reported that both of the little ones were in scream mode. I'm not sure whether I quickened my pace to get back home so I could help, or slowed a little!

If you look at the MB readout below and select 'laps' you'll see I did some negative splits (running the second half of the distance quicker than the first half). I think the terrain helped with that a little but I did feel pretty good all the way around, until the last mile.

Next stop, Tewkesbury Half Marathon on Sunday 11 May.

No comments: